Friday, October 14, 2005

I Submit! Make Reality Quiet Again!

Gah! I make one cocky post about how bored I am, and BOOM, things start to happen faster than I can process. True, much of it is my fault (like beginning to play Myst IV, which is immersive, gorgeous, and hugely nostalgic), but Ack! Where did all these activities come from?!

So I get a complimentary flight to the East Coast, as people do who have relatives with frequent flyer miles, and I get back, and BAM: it's stuff time. The return of a good friend who sent many years abroad has brought with him his DVD collection. So now (or so I'm told), I must watch the first season of Deadwood, the first season of Carnivale, the third season of Six Feet Under, and a dozen movies. Plus, I must satisfy this returning hero's hunger for Halo 2 multiplayer. THEN, it is revealed that this honored guest has assembled decks of cards for playing (the Call of Cthulhu card game, for those keeping a list) from the stash I accumulated during a short and profitable stint of selling them on eBay. So that needs to get played. Plus, I started Myst IV, and it calls to me night and day like the sirens (I'm so CLOSE to figuring out the electrical floating rock puzzles!). AND I have the game I run on the weekend looming, demanding some unrewarding gruntwork be done before things get underway. AND I am honor bound to attend Serenity a second time (because, you know, I'd like it to "succeed" where others have "failed").

It's enough to keep a man awake! Which is a problem when one's system is already reeling from a rather strange sleep schedule on and off of planes for a week.

So: you'd think my approach would be "Time to Knuckle Under, Buckle Down, and Have Fun Efficiently!" It's a good plan in theory. You juggle social commitments. You wake up in the morning and set priorities for what kinds of fun the evening should contain.

So what does life do? It throws tea at you.

Yes. Tea.

The Safeway in the area has a "Corner of Discount Stuff" hidden away, where prices have been slashedon damages, overstock, or otherwise unwanted goods. And as a friend and myself cruised rapidly through Safeway seeking quick dinner, we hapen upon the tea. We're not just talking crap tea, either. Stash, Twinings, Rooibos (or something), and many other quality brands. They're 99 cents a box. At that price, tea isn't just for drinking: it's for squirreling away for years and years, and it's also for giving to relatives and the relatives of friends ('cause, you know, tea is good stuff). So there goes a solid hour of my evening, with all this tea sorting and tea buying, and getting the word out to other teamongers who then need rides to do their own tea sorting and tea buying.

I had a schedule! I had a plan for Maximal Uninterrupted Fun! Now, I am behind. The floating electrical rock puzzles remain unsolved. I still haven't played any CCG goodness. A veritable crate of DVDs stares me down, daring me to veg.

I think I'm god for a while on the whole immersion thing. Can someone throw me a life preserver?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home